Saturday, March 2, 2013

Dreams and Nightmares


I could not see. There was no light. I stumbled to get up; at that moment I turned around. I saw a light, where was I? Under the light there was a chair, just an ordinary wood chair that you’d see in many houses. In fact I had one just like it at my house. I started getting closer to the chair, as that happened I noticed screaming. The closer I got, the louder it became. I backed away afraid of what would happen. Was I dreaming? I think I was. I tried to wake myself up. Nothing happened. I turned away from the chair and started falling. I landed in a hallway, what was that horrid stench? I walked on towards the doors at the end of the hall. I see a room at the side of the hall; it was my old school room from when I was a kid. The room was lifeless except for two children in the spots of the two kids who died the year I had that class. They turn around and look at me, their rotting corpses and unblinking eyes staring at me they looked scared.

I turn away and run down the hall. I make it to the two doors and try to open them. They were locked. I look back and see the lights in the hall are turning off. A rush of adrenalin hits me and I am trying to break through the doors. I run at them just as the lights turn off where I am and the doors open. I was now in a cemetery. I see me and my family mourning over our dead father as his casket is lowered into the ground. This memory brings tears to my eyes, I wipe them off. The tears were blood! I jump back startled. I look behind me seeing that I was surrounded by the graveyard. I run, I hear suppressed moans coming from the ground. I run faster; the moans get louder. The faster I run the louder they get until they become shrill cries striking terror in my body. I made it to the gate, I opened it. When I walked through I saw me in the past proposing to the wonderful girl who is now my wife. I tried to get closer but when I walked into the garden there was nothing. Everyone had vanished and all the plants were dead; their bright colors gone.

I wished this dream would just end. It felt like I would never wake up. I find myself falling again. This dream must be the punishment I get for drinking too much and cheating on my wife the week before. When or if I wake up I’m going to tell her what happened, and I’m never going to go to a bar again! I try to walk home from where I am. Maybe if I go home I can wake up. When I’m going home I pass the bar I was at. I pick up a brick and throw it at the bar. The window shatters and the pieces of glass freeze as they are in the middle of their plummet. In fact; everything but me freezes. The ravens in the sky are no longer moving, the world has come to a halt. I try to move; all of a sudden I am frozen. I close my eyes and count to ten hoping something will happen. All of a sudden; a rush comes to my body as though waking up. I open my eyes; I was in the room where I started! I move towards the chair, the screaming starts. As I get closer the screaming gets louder and louder until it becomes deafening.

 I make it to the chair and sit on it and then to my surprise the world around me disappears and I wake up! But something seemed different. Everything was shadowy and seemed to have a blur, as though a person’s hand waving while caught on camera. I stand up and see my wife screaming and crying. It was almost like the screaming I heard in the dream; without the crying. I look back at the chair and see myself on the chair with my gun from our safe hanging in my hand and a hole through my head. I remember now. I felt so guilty for cheating on her; I just couldn’t take it anymore. I had taken the gun and shot myself because I couldn’t bear the guilt anymore. I had ended it all; the suffering I thought. But now I realize that after death there is nothing but a blackness that consumes you for eternity.

By: Kylan Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fear not; there are more stories. Just click the "Older Posts" link for more great works of literature.